Wednesday, January 11, 2012

brown sugar spice cake


I baked a double batch of this cake yesterday - & they're already telling me to bake it again. The recipe is from Rachel's gorgeous blog elephantine.


It's really good - dense & moist, with a beautiful spicy taste. I haven't altered this recipe at all, just saved you the trouble of looking up how much butter a stick is. As I said, I made a double batch (adding an extra egg) & it worked really well.


I looked the recipe up on dad's ipad before I started. The photos on elephantine take you through the recipe step-by-step.
& I might have then used the ipad to play on pinterest while the cake was in the oven :)



Rachel baked her cake in mini-bundt pans, but as I (sadly) don't have any, I used our fluted (baba) tins. But you could use a plain round tin. I do want those mini-bundt pans though. & the nice light in her photos.


brown sugar spice cake
 from elephantine

1 ½ sticks butter (6 ounces / 169.5 grams)
1 ½ cups dark brown sugar (well packed)
¼ tsp nutmeg
¾ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp ginger
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
¾ cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 180C & grease your pan.

Put the butter in a large mixing bowl (it should be very soft, but not completely melted). Add sugar, spices, salt & baking powder & mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Add the eggs one at a time & mix until smooth. Add the flour, alternating with the juice, a little bit at a time, mix until well combined.

Pour into prepared tin & bake for 1hr*, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Remove from oven & turn onto a wire rack to cool.

* the suggestion in the original recipe is 20min for small cakes, or 30min for a single cake, but mine took 1hr (with two cakes in the oven) & I left them in there for an extra 10min once I had turned the oven off. 
& I think 170g butter would work, no need to measure .5g!


enjoy :)


3 comments:

  1. Aw, thank you! I'm so glad you made and enjoyed the cake. Your photos are great. I get a kick out of seeing one of my posts "reblogged" in this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks & sounds like a delicious cake. Might just have to back one today hehe. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was so good! you should bake it again, for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)